- Shibam in Yemen is an ancient, desert city.
- Originally settled 1,700 years ago, it’s the world’s first city of skyscrapers. Many of the buildings, built from mud bricks, date back to the 16th century.
- As Yemen struggles with a violent civil war between the government and Houthi rebels, Shibam’s future is uncertain.
- The war has been going on for five years, resulting in 6,000 deaths and putting 22 million people in a position where they need assistance — for food, water, shelter, or sanitation.
- For Shibam, things have been tenuous since 2008. Flooding, terrorist attacks, the Arab Spring Revolt, and the civil read more >>>
Source : BusinessInsider.Com