- Mirny is a diamond mining town in Siberia, Russia, about 280 miles (450 kilometers) from the Arctic Circle.
- Most of the town’s roughly 40,000 residents work for Alrosa, the world’s largest diamond miner by volume.
- On a recent trip to Russia, I spent three days in Mirny with Alrosa.
- I saw the world’s second-largest manmade pit, experienced 20 hours of sunlight each day, and saw how the town’s buildings are built elevated above the ground because it’s not feasible to dig into the permafrost, which can reach up to 450 feet deep.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more read more >>>
Source : BusinessInsider.Com