- Fort Gorges is an abandoned fort on the coast of Portland, Maine.
- Located on an island ledge, it’s only accessible by private boat.
- We took a tour with Portland Paddle, which included two hours of kayaking and an hour exploring the fort with tour guides.
- Fort Gorges was built during the Civil War but was rendered obsolete by the time the war ended.
- Used for mine storage until the end of World War II, the fort was later abandoned and is now overrun by nature.
- The fort is falling apart, and the City of Portland, Maine, is hoping to restore read more >>>
Source : BusinessInsider.Com